There is a creative streak in everyone. Especially with home projects like painting the walls it is particularly enjoyable to do it yourself and make yourself proud. Most professionals don’t share the tricks of a perfect paint job, which is understandable since their jobs are on the line. But we’ve collected just for you some of the important tips and tricks of painting.
1. Perhaps a clichéd advice, but buy small samples of the colors you have in mind first and do patch tests. But if you feel sure about a color buy a quart or small amount of it first to apply on a slightly large area to get a better idea.
2. Even the paint cans of exactly same color might have minor differences in their hue or intensities. So in a large bucket dunk the paint of same color from all the cans and paint from it. This ensures a perfectly even color all over. It also means that you need to calculate how much paint you are going to need beforehand.
3. To prevent flashing or avoid the appearance of light patches over filled or patched holes or cracks use a tinted primer. Primer of light grey color or the color in which you want to paint the wall will do the trick.
4. Keep the doors and windows open during the job. It helps aerate the room and help dry the paint.
5. If you are worried about the paint creeping under the masking tape on wooden surface use a putty knife to smooth it over. A better idea is to use painter’s tape, which can be left on for as many as two weeks.
6. Don’t throw away the leftover paint. Store it in a small can or a jar and label it. Use it for touch-ups later.
7. Use paint extender to level out the bristles on the brush and also to increase the time it takes for the paint to dry. This prevents dark colored patches when you paint gain after a while if you expect to have breaks while painting.
8. Sand the walls well if going to use latex or oil finishes.
9. Place a small cotton or canvas sheet over the wide plastic sheet to catch the paint drops. The plastic sheet prevents your floor from getting dirty and the canvas sheet makes your footing less slippery.
10. Don’t ever paint little bits of each wall like the corners and around the trims. Paint one wall at a time. Finish the wall you have started before proceeding to the next one to get a seamless look.
11. After finishing clean the rim of the paint can before putting the lid on. Firmly press the lid or hammer it with cotton cloth on top to shut the can and not have any surprise spills when handling it later.
12. Instead of taping your glass windows just leave them be. The paint comes of easily by gently scraping with a blunt blade or with a coarse wet cloth.